The oldest continuing Church of God outside the United States recently donated their earliest record book to the Dixon Pentecostal Research Center. Dr. David Roebuck preached at the Green Turtle Cay Church on January 10 following the centennial celebration of Church of God World Missions in Nassau. Pastor Johnny Lowe presented the book to Dr. Roebuck to preserve at the Research Center.
The record book dates from 1913. Overseer Carl M. Padgett organized this congregation on July 24, 1913. John Aquila Lowe was the first pastor, and Mildred E. Lowe was the clerk. Charter members included John A. Lowe, Mildred E. Lowe, Percy Lowe, Adie Lowe, Hartley Roberts, Mira Roberts, Ethel Roberts and Harrison Russell.
Green Turtle Cay is one of the Abaco Islands in the Bahamas. Many families on the island trace their heritage back to loyalists who fled the United States during the Revolutionary War in the eighteenth century.
The church’s record book is currently on display at the Church of God International Offices in the World Evangelization Center. It is part of an exhibit commemorating one-hundred years of World Missions. In July 2010 the ledger will be part of a historical exhibit at the 73rd International General Assembly in Orlando, Florida.
The Dixon Pentecostal Research Center is the official archives of the Church of God. The Center collects and preserves documents related to the Church of God and the Pentecostal Movement. Students, scholars and church officials regularly make use of the collection.