The Dixon Pentecostal Research Center recently purchased several items that belonged to F.J. Lee through his grandson, Joe Lee. Among the items is a desk made by Lee himself, a skilled craftsman, and used during his time as the second general overseer of the Church of God and president of the school that would later be named in his honor—Lee University. Also acquired are file and card cabinets from his office, as well as a clock believed to have served to set the time schedule for operations at the Church of God Publishing House during and after Lee’s tenure.
Flavius J. Lee (1875–1928), the “best man in town” and worship leader at the Berry Street Baptist Church, joined the Church of God after experiencing Holy Spirit baptism during the town’s historic Pentecostal revival of 1908. Almost immediately ordained, a decade and a half later he served as a leader and stabilizing force in the wake of church controversy and disruption. After serving as pastor of the Cleveland church (now North Cleveland), and then state overseer of Tennessee and of Florida, he was elevated to the office of general overseer. During his tenure, he developed cancer, and although he lay on his deathbed, the 1928 General Assembly re-elected Lee as general overseer. At the same time, they also elected S.W. Latimer to the newly created office of assistant general overseer with a plan for succession. Lee died before the conclusion of the General Assembly. Lee left a lasting legacy as he guided the Church of God through what may have been its most difficult era.
These items are currently on display in the reading room of the Dixon Pentecostal Research Center with the expectation of the future development of a Church of God Heritage Center.
The Dixon Pentecostal Research Center is thankful for financial donors that made the purchase of the Lee furnishings possible.